Saturday, December 18, 2010

A Cornucopia of Vomit

It should be no surprise that my worst fears were realized.  A stomach bug has set in at the Holder household and I was first notified of this at 3AM Friday morning.  My wife brought the baby into the guest room where my daughter and I were sleeping soundly.  The baby had been throwing up most of the night and now my wife had joined in.  She had been just laying down towels over where the baby was sleeping after each vomit episode forming a sort of vomit sandwich there on my bed.  She was handling this as well as can be expected until she started getting sick herself and turned the chore over to me at 3AM.

When it was time to get the 2yo and 3yo up for the day, I entered my daughter's room where they were sleeping and was treated to what looked like a frat house on Sunday morning after a big party.  There had apparently been some sort of vomit explosion. 

From this point at 7AM on Friday, I, so far unaffected by the bug, was running solo with four sick kids for the next 24 hours.  My wife was in bed useless battling her own let's just say "internal demons."  They seemed to be in pretty good spirits and were outwardly appearing to feel sick so I did was anyone in my position would probably do, I dressed them and took them to daycare.

This worked, of course, until they got sick at daycare and I had to pick them up.  Now don't judge me too bad here.  I happened to know that other children at the daycare, including the lady running it, all had this same bug so it wasn't like I was using my kids as little typhoid Mary's.  Still, it's every man for himself out there and I've probably done a lot worse elsewhere.  My conscious is clear.

It did give me a few hours reprieve to attempt to catch up on laundry.  My washer and dryer probably think that they have been sold to a Chinese laundry because they have been running non-stop for 2 days now.  I should thank my mother for putting the idea in my head that NOW would be a rotten time for one or both of these appliances to break down.  That, by itself, is enough to move it into the near inevitable list of catastrophes to befall us.

Despite all these troubles.  My daughter and I managed to feed all the kids, get their teeth brushed, and in bed asleep by 830PM.  It was a miracle that I had trouble believing.  We turned in early.  We managed well until about 1:30am when my daughter woke me up and reported that her stomach hurt. 

I suggested that go directly to the bathroom.

She vomited there on the floor.

At that point I realized that the red kool-aid I fixed for her as a reward for helping out was probably not my greatest idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment