Thursday, September 23, 2010

Well, at least the roof goes up and down

Wednesday afternoon, I decided to tackle Frostbite's latest troubles.  I tried raising to roof secretly hoping that magic faeries had come during the night to fix the roof raising problem. 

Nope.

I squatted and looked underneath.  The safety bar, which is not rigid in the track that the lift cable runs, was pushed to one side.  I reached in and simply pulled it even with the cable and tried raising it again.

Success!

It raised up fine and hooked onto the frame where it was supposed to.  I wish I could think of something to ensure that the safety bar stayed centered as the rood if being raised but at least I know I can do it myself by hand as necessary.  I chalked this fix up as completed.  Hopefully, I'll be inspired later as to how to permanently fix it.

With that problem solved, I then set out to install the shelves and door threshold which were little projects that needed done since the rebuild but were not critical enough to stop us from camping. 

The threshold went down fine.  It would have been better if I had screws with rounded heads as there is the potential to cut/scrape bare feet but I didn't have any.  I decided to use what I did have and pick up some replacements at a later date. 

I actually had to use 2 thresholds on the door.  Due to the way I laid down the tiles, there was a gap exposing the floor that was about an inch wider than the threshold already in Frostbite.  I had intended to replace the original with a wider one which would have solved the problem.  However, the wider one that I found turned out to be too tall for the door to close over it.  The 2nd and shorter one I got was not wide enough to cover the gap between the tiles and the edge of the camper.

I opted to put the original one back on and the new threshold over the exposed gap.  It doesn't look as bad as it sounds.  * I hope *

yea, I guess it does look as bad as it sounds

I will keep my eye out for a better fitting threshold but until then this will have to work.

I then turned my attention to the shelves.  There is a shelf that goes underneath the sink and over the wheel well.  I decided to start with that one.  The other "shelf" in the door-side cabinet is much more complicated.  It is actually a couple of plastic tubs which sit on metal runners in the cabinet and act like drawers.  Installing them will require installing the metal brackets properly which will require accurate measuring and such.

I'll save those for next time.

The sink cabinet shelf went in fairly easy.



After getting the shelf in, I goofed with the fridge so that it set correctly without wobbling.  It needed to sit more inside the opening than I had it.  Eventually, I found the perfect resting place.

During this process, I opened the fridge door to get a better hold of the thing and was immediately hit with a funky smell.  I thought at first that we had stupidly left food in it from the last trip but I couldn't find any.  There was some water in it though and that had gone sour.

I left the door open for a while to let it air out.  I need to remember to clean and dry it out before packing Frostbite up to return home from a camping trip.



All in all, the evening was a great success.  I packed up Frostbite for our trip this weekend and she won't be raised up again until we arrive at the campsite on Friday.  THIS time I tried to organize things much better and hope that Frostbite is loaded with everything she needs.

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment