Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Countdown to Shipping Out

I took the night off last night and watched Hot Tub Time Machine with my wife which was pretty darn funny.  This morning, I realized how close we are to shipping out.  This coming weekend is the planned campout at Montgomery Bell State Park and we are leaving on Fri once we get in from work.

That means that I need to pack Frostbite the night before.

That means that I only have 2 nights to pack and finish anything that needs finished before the trip.

There are a few of things that I have to do today:

1. Finish installing the counter top back onto the box through which I ran the AC exhault.  There is still the missing dowel that I left off when I put it back together that will require me to take is back apart to put on.

2. Install the new door threshold.  This should be fairly simple.  I just haven't done it for some reason.

3. and this is a BIG one!  I need to reattach the awning to the camper and set it up so I'll know how to do it.  This is going to be an extra pain as it is raining today off and on and I need to lower frostbite to attach the awning.  If it is still raining this afternoon when I am ready to do this, I suppose it could be pushed off to tomorrow.

4. The stupid inside lights stopped working.  I've no idea what the problem is since I haven't really looked into but it would be nice to have lights.

I'm hoping to get all the fix-it type work done this evening so that all we have to do tomorrow is pack Frostbite with gear.  I know full well that if I am rushed to pack at all, we will forget things that are very important.

I feel that it is imperative that I get time to practice putting the awning up and down.  I've read horror stories of folks trying to figure out how to do this at the campsite.  Apparently, it is semi-complicated.

I don't have any type of side to side levelers for the camper.  Would have liked to buy a BAL leveler but they run about $60 and I don't have the extra money right now to get one in time.  I might bring along a piece of plywood that would at least give me a half inch or so if needed but I'm hoping to get lucky and find a level spot so I won't need it. 

I'm also having to depend on the park having 2 110 type plug-ins on their hook up box.  I remember checking at Natchez Trace a few months ago and they had 2 plugins at their campsites.  I need 2 because the AC needs one by itself.

I also hope that I can find a bucket or something around my house to collect gray water draining from the sink.  They frown on just letting it run off onto the ground at campsites.  I was thinking that I would just drop it into the sewer pipe at the campsite but have read that there might be a problem with a bad smell coming back through the pipe into the camper.  I'm glad I happend to find that little tidbit as I wouldn't have thought of it and would have had to learn it the hard way.

I also don't know about firewood and how available it is.  Hopefully an easy solution will present itself at the appropriate time.

Don't worry, I'm sure everything will work out exactly as I envision.

No comments:

Post a Comment