Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fixing the Awning

Last week, my seamstress provided me with a strong set of needles and strong thread meant to repair canvas and such so I could repair the awning bag.  While I still don't know what shape the actual awning is in, the bag that holds it is in bad shape.  It was at one time meant to be zipped closed but the zipper itself is missing and I have no idea how to reattach a new one.  I'll have to think of how to jerry-rig some Velcro straps to keep it closed.

Another, more pressing, problem is that the bag itself has started ripping away from the part that connects to the camper.  Here is a photo:


I realize that this photo is not the best since the piece that is separating from the rest of the bag is actually as long as the bag is.  It is just bent at an angle in this photo making it look like it is too short.

Like everything else about this renovation job, I have no real idea how to fix this thing properly.  I figured that I could sew it back together using an upholstery needle and thread.  I took out the "canvas" needle which was a large monster of a thing with a flared tip that made it look like it could spear a fish.  The eye of this needle was so large that I was able to thread it on the first try without using a needle threader. 

I tried to stick the needle in the canvas and realized that I needed a thimble of some sort to push the thing through.  I found a plastic bottle cap that seemed like it would do the job.  I got the needle started and used the bottle cap to push it through.

I had to use both hands and a good bit of strength and you would think I should have known what was going to inevitably happen next.

Here is the result of my very first stitch:


Yes, the FIRST stitch!

Somehow, and I'm still not sure how this even happened, the spear needle jammed through the canvas and a good half inch along the length of my index finger.  You might me thinking, "Boy, I'll bet that hurt."  Well, having experienced it personally, I can report that YES, IT HURT LIKE HOLY HELL!!  I can best describe it as insanely painful.  I was glad that my daughter was not out with me and my neighbors were not outside as I used a colorful array of choice words to describe my situation.

I decided to try a different technique for my second stitch and had better luck.  After about a half hour of this, the job was done.


good as new!


the back side

See that stain on the first picture of the finished job?  Well, that's a few drops of my blood that poured out after the piercing.  I sign pieces of my work in blood like painters sign their masterpieces.  I thought it would make for a good story having a blood stain there.

I brought my wife outside to admire my handiwork and garner some sympathy for my stabbing.  I got the obligatory "you should be more careful." She looked at it briefly and then asked, "Is that blood?"

"Yes, it's MY blood"

"I hope that stain comes out."

*sigh* 

No comments:

Post a Comment