Monday, February 22, 2010

Finally, something is fixed!

It was a beautiful weekend.  The temperature was 65, it was sunny, and I was in a short sleeve shirt working on Frostbite.  This has been the best weather so far this year.  I reached a major milestone this weekend in that I actually did something to Improve Frostbite instead of just tearing her apart. 

I fixed the rotted back corner of the floor.

After the fiasco with the flooring I bought and my failure to measure the floor thickness, I managed to get some plywood scraps that I could use.  I dusted off my skillsaw for only the second time since I've had it (I inherited this from a friend going through a divorce 10 years ago) and carefully measured the hole, marked the square on the plywood, and cut it out.  It was still 1/8 to 1/4 inch too wide so I got out my trusty wood shaver which I picked up last weekend for $6 and shaved that edge down to the right size.

It wasn't a *perfect* fit by any means but close enough for government work.


I used some spray foam to fill in the crack and the large hole that I drilled to get the jigsaw blade in.  Underneath, I drilled some holes and screwed the aluminum edge in the corner to the new wood.  I trimmed the foam when it dried and will top it off with some wood filler the next time I pop her up.  Once that dries, I'll sand it all down level so it will be ready for the new floor.


A different angle of the patch

For some reason, I forgot to snap a pic of the finished patch but will do so the next time I pop her up.  A storm was brewing and it was starting to get dark Sunday evening so I was rushing a bit to lower the camper.  My daughter was outside with me all afternoon and I hollered for her to help me pick up trash and such.  She said she was in the middle of something and couldn't right then.

After I got the trash picked up and the camper stowed away, I saw the *something* that she was working on.

 

As the days start getting longer (especially after we "spring ahead" for daylight savings time) I'll be able to pop up Frostbite after work on weekdays and get more work done in a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment