Thursday, February 11, 2010

Rows and Rows of Goo

I've been sick the last couple of days.  Back at work today but doing so only after getting doped up good this morning.  Hopefully it will last me through the day.

On Saturday, after the disappointing tax affair, we went to Wal-Mart for Supplies. I needed an assortment of goo among other things. First, I need some paint, preferably mildew, mold, water resistant paint like that intended for painting bathrooms. I need some type of goo to remove caulk. I need some goo to fill in cracks and holes in the corners and roof of Frostbite.

There is a LOT of goo for sale at Wal-Mart. Three whole rows of it actually. I perused the paint. There is flat, semi-gloss, satin, high gloss. Nowhere were the words "This would be good for use in a bathroom/shower" written on any labels. ALL of them had "mildew resistant." NONE of them had "Mold resistant." There was a section marked 50% off that had some paint that was mixed up for folks that was the wrong color and such. I grabbed one by Kilz that looked white. It has $5.75 printed on the label so I though it wouldn't hurt to get at $2.60 or so. I grabbed 4 cans of white spray paint at 96 cents each.

With paint covered I moved on the caulk. There was many many different kinds. One actually said on the label: "Not recommended for campers and RVs." That's helpful. Unfortunately, none of them had "Recommended for Campers and RVs" on the label. I guessed and got 1 silicone tube and 1 tube of some *other* type of caulk that could be painted. The caulk labels suggested that there should not be more than a half inch gap deep between what it to be caulked. Remembering that the corners were separated by this much and I could not see the bottom when looking down into the cracks, I picked up some water proof foam spray. I thought I would spray this down into the cracks to help form a sort of base for the caulk. I have no idea if this will work or not but it was only $3.50 for a can of it.

On to the solvents, There was a heap of nasty looking stuff with skulls and crossbones on the containers sure to cause an equal assortment of cancers and other ailments. I noticed "Denatured Alcohol" and remembered Dusty's suggestion (At least I *think* that was the stuff.) The label said it was good for cleaning glass and for use as a fuel. I picked it up anyway along with some rubber gloves and a face mask.

I topped it off with some paint brushes, a small paint bucket, painter's tape, brackets, wood screws, and some rags. The clearance paint rang up at $5.75. I pointed out the red label "REDUCED 50% OFF" and was told by the cashier that the price reflected the discount. It did have "Now $5.75" on it but was printed on the actuall label, not a sticker, so I am pretty sure I got rooked on that one. We spent more time in the checkout line than it took us to shop but eventually moved on to Lowes.

At Lowes, all I wanted was some wood to replace the floor in the corner of Frostbite. There were no scraps so I had to buy a large sheet and get it cut. I think I may be able to build table tops out of the excess which will be a lot. I only really needed a 1' by 1' piece for the floor. This seemed initially like a lucky break for me but I did think later that this wood might be heavier than I want/need for table tops. We'll have to see.

I didn't do any other work on Frostbite this past weekend because, as previosly mentioned, it was darn cold and the wind was blowing hard and, frankly, I didn't want to get out in it. This coming 3-day weekend should be better I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment