Monday, January 25, 2010

Dries clear my butt!

On Friday evening, I decided to bring in the door and try to see where it is falling apart.  During the first phase of tearing the inside apart, I found a metal piece in the back of one of the cabinets that looked suspiciously like it went with the door.  I lugged it all inside and put it all on our dining room table.  It was my grandmother's table that they owned since I was a kid, at least as long as I remember. 

I put a few newspapers down underneath.

I removed all the clear tape that I feared was the only thing holding it together.  It wasn't.  In fact, I'm not sure what purpose it served.  I removed the two plastic panels that covered the screen.  I got out the suspect missing piece so I could figure out where it goes if it goes with the door at all.  My fat slob of a cat is sniffing the piece in question in the pic below.



It did fit nicely onto the end of the panel just behind the fat slob of a cat.  It didn't want to stay though.  So I decided to glue it.  I got out my fancy Big Lots epoxy.  I tried to mix the two materials equally into the paper cup and stirred it around with the popcicle stick provided for the purpose.  I glued a single corner of the panel.  I couldn't get both corners to stay together at the same time so I opted to glue one, let it dry, then glue the other.  Seemed to work ok.




There was also a 3-4 inch tear in the screen along an edge.  Can you glue screen to aluminum?   My "go-to" girl at out local hardware store told me last week that epoxy is good if you need a glue that dries clear.  I figured that since I already had the glue out and since it "dries clear," I'll give it a shot.

The next day, see if you can guess where the repair is :



Now I wonder if you can paint glue gray?

No comments:

Post a Comment