Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Up, up, up and away we go

I put Frostbite up for the first time the day after we bought her.  It was still viciously cold outside (in the 20's) but the sun was up and I *prayed* that there was stll a chace she had electric so I could get a space heater in her.  Ovenight, I decide to desperately hope that the black hole where the electric cord should have been would actually contain a working electrical cord inside it.

I struggled to remember (in reverse) how to put the thing up since my only instruction came from the New York Dude working furiously fast to pop her down the day before talking quickly as he went.  In my standard manner, I asked no questions and took no notes on the process.



Success!

Now it was time to take a more careful look at my purchase.  First thing first.  She went up ok.  All the cables seemed to be intact and she was, by my estimate and the little bubble things on the front and side of the box, fairly level.   This has to be a positive thing.

Thinking next of the electric for the heater I bent down and took a look underneath hoping that the elusive electric cord would be found dangling somewhere.  The bottom, I discovered, was completly enclosed and smooth.  No cords dangling or anything else for that matter.  I also discovered something else.  The axle and bars, which I assume to be a type of shock absorber, were either painted brown or completly rusted.  I hadn't thought to look underneath the thing before I bought it (not that it would have made much of a difference, I might as well have been looking underneath a cow or a nuclear sub for all the meaning it would have for me.)  Nevertheless, I opted to save that worry for later.  It did roll home behind us for an hour afterall.

Time to step inside.  I fiddled around with things until I had it set up as best I could.







Those are my tools in the photo BTW.  It was dirty but I knew that already.  I lifted the lid on a side box and discovered the missing electric cord.  I popped it back throught he hole in the side, plugged it up, connected my heater and it Worked!  Woohoo!  I tested the other 2 outlets and they all ran the heater equally well.  I tested the little lights on the ceiling and, after jiggling the bulbs in the sockets, they came on as well.

Score one for the New York Dude.  The inside electric all seemed to work.  There was a small fridge but it was impossible to know if it was working or not since the outside was acually colder that the fridge would have gotten if it had been on for 3 days.  I'll have to check that later. 

Pleased with this, I sat down and drank a beer.  I even took my coat off since the heater seemed to be doing a smashing job.  My wife came out later and sat with me.  After about 5 minutes, she said "It's cold" and left.  Note to self: Winter camping is probably out.

No comments:

Post a Comment