Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Tearing 'er Apart part I

After testing the water, instead of testing the gas system which would have made sense as it was the last "system" I needed to test, I opted to start removing all the interior items. I needed to paint the interior, rip up the old floor, put down the new floor, and re-paint and repair all the inside items. It made sense to me to take everything out. I assumed it was all just screwed down somewhere, somehow.

I do have experience taking things apart and learned a valuable lesson in the process. Around age 9 or 10, I decided to explore the family tape recorder by taking it apart and putting it back together. Armed with only a screwdriver, I managed to dismantle the entire tape recorder with relative ease.  In no time, I was surrounded by electronic pieces, plastic pieces, washers, and an array of tiny screws.

Lesson learned: taking something apart is much easier than putting it back together.

My parents, however, didn't appreciate the educational aspect of my endeavor nearly as much as I did when I grimly realized that putting it back together was impossible.

Anxious to see my knowledge in action again, I armed myself with a screwdriver and set to work. THIS time was going to be different. I would keep the screws together and sorted and matched with the piece that was being removed.

I quickly discovered that what appeared to be simple wooden boxes inside that could be unattached and carried out onto the driveway were not actually simple wooden boxes but rather some sort of puzzle designed to challenge someone to take all the pieces off in a specific, pre-defined, non-obvious order. There were wires, pipes, and supports threaded throughout the insides of these "boxes" that has to be unattached.

My original dream of sorting and keeping the screws and pieces together was dispelled when, after 30 minutes of unscrewing every screw I could find, I realized that I was dropping all the parts into the same bucket.

Deja vu

@$#%

Here are some pictures for your amusement. I'm fairly certain I can get it all back together.

Of course, not counting all the left over parts and the fact that it no longer worked, I put that tape recorder back together too.









No comments:

Post a Comment