Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Dancing Days are over

My secret dreams of becoming a ballet dancer have been crushed. I know I am fairly accident prone which is the reason why I stay off the roof of my house and only own a 6 foot ladder. Not only do I have a higher than normal chance of falling off the roof but, if I do fall, I'll probably find a way to do it head first. This is something I know about myself.

Last night, I basically fell out of my back door. Now I just have 2 steps down to make when going out of the back door into the garage. I stepped out with my left foot and managed to miss them both. Fortunately, my knee broke my fall. Once I was able to get up, I limped inside immediately so I could complain to my wife.

She offered the obligatory sympathy and suggested that I "be more careful." Why do folks always say that? It's not like I can go back and do it again "more carefully."  My daughter offered the most help when she rubbed my knee and said "aww, poor daddy."

In hindsight, turning on the garage light before stepping out into the darkness might have been a good idea.

I remember telling my wife, "Man, I'm gonna feel that tomorrow." Well, tomorrow is here and my knee is completely pain free. My hip however is another story. It hurts to move my leg in pretty much any direction. Raising it enough to put on pants this morning was a challenge.

I have a sneaking suspicion that had I been 20 years older, I would have broken my hip, or at least still be lying there in the garage the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment