Thursday, January 28, 2010

An Update from my Seamstress

2 weeks ago we went to Memphis and then out with my Mother to pick out material to redo the bed and seat cushions and the curtains in Frostbite. We found some great material at a great price at Hancock’s Fabrics. They were having a Martin Luther King Jr. day sale and we found some remnants that we liked. We bought 8 yards of material for the bed and seat cushions and 10 yards for the curtains. For the bed and seat covers, 8 yards was all we could find.

In my typical fashion, we didn't know exactly how much material we needed because I didn't think to measure them before we left. Nevertheless, 8 yards was all we could find and the color was perfect so it would have to be enough. The 2 bed cushions were not completely cloth covered anyway. The bottoms were a vinyl that I figured we could reuse.

I got a phone call from my seamstress last week and was told that she had failed me and was unable to make 8 yards cover everything. She said that she would have to use some of the curtain material on the cushions as well.

In my mind all I could see was a couple of covers with large mismatched, triangle-shaped patches of different materials. A Frankencushion, if you can imagine.

She sent me some pictures today and I was pleasantly surprised. She used the curtain material around the edges. Remember that we didn't bring her the cushions themselves; Just the covers. It may look like they have cushions in them but she just propped the covers up that way for the picture. The 2 beds are done and she is starting on the seat cushions next.

She didn't mention it but I'll go ahead and assume that all of the curtains are done too along with all those little plastic doo-dads that allow the curtain to slide into the slot that circles the roof.

I think I will ask her to sew me up a circus tent next . . . just for laughs.

Great job!






2 comments:

  1. Now that just plain looks nice! It's got a country/quilt look to it that I think goes great in a camper. She's doing an excellent job! Good choice on the fabric patterns too, Kevin. That really looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate that Dusty but I can't claim any credit at all for the patterns. I would never have even considered the pair together. Not because I don't like it; just that I wouldn't have thought to hold the two next to each other to even see if they match.

    Nope, all the credit for that goes to my mother and wife. Once they showed me the combo, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete