Thursday, March 11, 2010

Not Without Spilling Some Blood

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am a software developer.  This is a job where it is difficult if not impossible to physically hurt yourself while doing it.  So far, I have managed to be 100% accident free my entire career as a designer and programmer.

However, another percentage that I'm not as proud of is that I have managed to wound myself nearly 100% of the time whenever I do most any task that is not software development.  The combination of tools, especially power tools, and physically working with my hands almost always result in spilled blood.

Thankfully, most of the time it is just my blood.

Now I intend for this blog to be full record of my efforts with this project so that "full record" would have to include my painful misadventures as well.

All in all, this weekend was a success in that I still have all my fingers and, I hope, no permanent disability.  The first accident occurred while trying to get the stupid safety hook off of the trailer.  In hindsight, laying cramped underneath Frostbite trying to manipulate a pair of pliers in one hand and a socket in the other in an effort to loosen a rusty bolt surrounded by sharp rusty edges of metal was a recipe for disaster.



Fortunately the gash was right in the crease of my thumb and, once the bleeding stopped and the rust was washed away, you can hardly even see it.  Save for the lingering, throbbing pain, I can hardly notice it.

Now in order for me to get underneath Frostbite, I had to raise the tounge up a good bit (insert fat joke here).  Once I managed to get the safety hook back on, I was anxious to test it out.  I lowered the tounge until it *seemed* about right and started cranking up the roof.

Which resulted in this:



Of course, I had lowered it too much and, upon the very first crank, my finger scraped the concrete of my driveway like a cheese grater.  Once I stopped the bleeding and cleaned out the rocks and dirt, it didn't look that bad at all.

Amazingly, these were my only misadventures last weekend.  Don't worry though, for anyone following this blog thirsty for more gore, I'm sure I can deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment