Thursday, March 18, 2010

Well, This Sucks

Despite my doctor's appointment which involved minor surgery and three stitches, I managed to open up Frostbite to check for leaks.

I found this on one bunk:


And this on the other:


And this on the floor:



Now this leak is still in one place I figure.  Frostbite was down and the bunkends were pushed in so it only appears to be in three different places.  I suppose it could be much worse.  Remember that we had 2 or 3 days of thundershowers not just a little Spring rain.

I examinted the inside ceiling very closely.  The vent was dry inside and around it.  All the edges and seams above that area were also dry to the touch.  In fact the entire ceiling was dry and I couldn't find any water damage like discoloration so I *hope* that it hasn't been leaking long.  There was a spot on the upper canvas wall that was wet.



It was obviously the middle man for the roof leak but, despite my efforts, I was unable to locate where in the roof the water came from to get the canvas wet here.  I did notice that the leak was on one side of the camper probably due to this:



As you can see here, the camper is not level side to side and the leak was located over the low side.  I examined the outside where the canvas meets the roof.



It was dry to the touch all along the edge where the canvas attaches to the roof.  I did not see any type of "gasket" nor did I see any evidence of there ever being any type of gasket here.  There was no hardware that I could identify onto which a gasket could be attached.  I figure this couldn't be the source of the leak anyway since it is unlikey that water entered here underneath the edge of the room.

No, the leak has to originate somewhere on here:


I've already fixed that hole you see here.

It's no good to patch the ceiling anyway since the roof itself is getting water into it.  THAT is what has to be addressed.  In the above pic you can see a seam going down the center of the roof.  Why did they put a seam down the middle of the damn roof?  Anyway, the caulk is old (black), cracking, etc.  The caulk along the edges of the roof is in the same condition.

I'd like to think that the repairs I've already done on the roof contributed, at least a little, to limiting the leak.

My plan of action for this weekend is now going to be recaulking this entire area.  I'll wait for another rain, which won't be long I'm sure, and hopefully get better results.

No comments:

Post a Comment