Thursday, March 11, 2010

Trial by Thunderstorm

It's raining today.  Not just any rain but, according to my weatherlady, a full fledged, 2-day, thunderstorm.  Normally this wouldn't be noteworthy except for the fact that I left the tarp off of Frostbite for the first time since I discovered that the roof leaks. 

This past weekend, I did repair the large hole in the roof.  By "repair" I mean that I squirted caulk into the hole until it was filled and then scraped a board across the top to make it even with the roof.  Here are some pics:

Before


After

I also did a cheap, redneck-style repair of the vent.  It had clear tape surrounding the edges that had started to come up in the corners.  I didn't want to caulk this up because I intend to eventually replace the vent entirely with a new one.  Caulking it now would just make that fix more difficult so I opted to simply update the tape fix by adding tape around the corners and across the crack on top.



Having no way to know if this successfully addressed the source of the leak and knowing it was going to rain this week, I decided to leave the tarp off and test it out. 

One thing I did not know when I did this, however, was that the rain we were expecting was actually going to be a thunderstorm.  I was hoping for a simple spring rain not 2 days of violent, windy, thundershowers.

I suppose this will be the ultimate test.  I'll know when I pop her up this weekend.  Keep your finger's crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment