Monday, July 12, 2010

Fixing the Tables

There are 2 tables in Frostbite.  One is the main table for the inside benches.  Another larger table is for attaching to the outside of the camper to the left of the door.  I have never set either of these tables up because the folding legs on both were broken and barely hanging on the the table itself.

I've been thinking of how to fix these things since I first starting working on Frostbite and have managed to put it off until now.  During our trip to Lowes last month, I was insipired in the plumbing section.

I found some pieces of steel pipe along with attachments, caps, and extensions that seemed (in my head anyway) like it would work fine.  This weekend I finally got around to putting the idea into action and I thought it turned out pretty well.


This is the larger outside table.  I had to add a piece of wood for two reasons.  One, I thought it best not to attach directly to the table since it was particle board and the previous legs had stripped out all of the holes anyway.  The second reason was that I only had 1 inch wood screws and needed the extra thickness so they wouldn't pop through the top.



This is the smaller inside table.  It already had extra wood supports but I still needed more thickness due to the aforementioned 1 inch screws.

Here are some closeups of the leg attachments:





The only real problem I see with this solution is the leg cap on the inside table.  I worry that it might be too rough/hard and might damage the floor somehow.  I'm going to leave it as it is for now.  If it cracks the floor, I have plenty of extra tiles and can replace that and then figure out how to put some type of material on the cap to make it softer.

If it doesn't damage the floor, I'm golden.

This weekend resulted in massive progress on Frostbite and I will detail the work I did in future posts and photos here this week. 

Believe it or not, this thing is starting to look like a camper.

1 comment:

  1. My mother sent a comment to me suggesting a walking cane tip which is a great idea. I think the size of the pipe "leg" is the same as a walking cane so it should just pop right on to the end. I'll keep me eye out for one to try out.

    ReplyDelete