Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Trouble with the cabinet hardware

This, believe it or not, is my 100th post on this blog.  Jeez, you'd think more work would have been done by now. 

Yet another 15 minute job that stretched into over 2 hours due to my oversight.  You should be getting used to this by now. 

I am.

I purchased all new hardware to reconnect the cabinet doors to the boxes in Frostbite.  I was very careful to make sure that the outside attachment to the box was thin enough to fit.  I was not concerned with the attachment of the hindge to the back of the cabinet itself. 

It *seemed* like there was plenty of room.

However, the panel of the cabinet does not cover the entire back, just this inside of the trim.  This was more than enough for the hardware I purchased in pairs for $3 each (7 doors x $3 = $21 dollars total)  not to fit.

You can see the problem here:


Yep, pretty obvious.  Had I bothered to actually check the back of the doors before I bought all the hardware, I probably would have noticed this.

I was faced with 2 choices:  drive 20 miles to Lowes and buy all new hardware or somehow try to make it work anyway. 

Of course, I opted for the latter.  I thought "Maybe I can cut off that third screw hole."  I made a quick trip to the Tool Box and bought a hack saw.  I also bought an attachment for my rotary tool that cuts metal.  All this cost me $15.

I worked on all the pieces for over an hour and managed to get the pieces cut to size.  Here is one of the cut pieces:


success!

This fix actually worked!  I attached all the new pieces to the doors and got them all installed inside Frostbite.

Two hours after I started.


Looking good!

No comments:

Post a Comment