Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Rebuilding the complicated boxes #3 - The Final Chapter

Ok, we're down to the final two boxes left to be re-installed in Frostbite.  With the middle galley box completed and the fridge installed, I hoped it would be all downhill from here.

I ran the water/gas/electric lines through the middle box where they needed to be before attaching the top.  It went on without a hitch.


I then attached the newly rebuilt end bunk and the braces.  Again, no real problems.



The day after taking this pic, I noticed that the converter box is upside down.  Surprisingly, I was able to pull is out enough to flip it.  Notice that the water tank is installed inside the box.  It was all sort of a puzzle.  I initially installed the water tank first and screwed the box in around it. 

I then realized that I could not reach the holes to attach the box to the back wall because the water tank was in the way.

I took out the box and removed the water tank.  I then attached the box to the walls and floor.  I then realized that I could not install the water tank with the box already installed because there was not enough room to turn it so it could attach to the outside receptical. 

I took out the box and reinstalled the water tank.  I then reattached the box to the floor and walls and just managed to attach it to the back wall by shoving my had between the box and the top. 

Upon describing all this, I now realize that had I removed the top brace against the back wall and left the face attached it would have been much easier.  Dang it!

Anyway, I attached the top hindged bench cover and put the covers on the cushins and the table just to see what it looks like.


pretty snazzy!

another angle

Next, I needed to attach the sink and stove to the middle galley box.  I had feared this job since I took the thing apart.  It was maddening trying to get the stove apart and the gas line threaded out of the stove at the time.  Getting it all back together was surprisingly and strangly simple.




Of course there is no guarentee that the water and gas will actually work when I turn them on but it sure looks pretty good.

At this point, ALL of Frostbite's boxes have been reinstalled.  Remember that Bluebell has been sleeping outside because I took over the garage while painting all of the boxes.  My goal was to get the garage emptied and cleaned out enough for Bluebell to return home.  I went ahead and put the new matress covers on the foam matresses which was an excercise in frustration.

I eventually got them to basically fit.  Here is a matress in one of the bunkends:



Here is Bluebell back at home in the garage:


Safe and sound

No comments:

Post a Comment