Monday, July 26, 2010

Painting the frame

Managed to paint the frame thie weekend.  A couple of months ago I purchased a gallon of high-gloss black rustolium paint for this purpose.  It was $37 per gallon but claimed to be good at covering and preventing rust.  The frame had plently of that.  However, it was painted brown anyway so it was sort of hard to tell.

Friday evening I got out my trusty drill with the wire brush attachment and proceeded to scrape off as much rust as I could.  I rinsed off with the hose afterward.  It actually worked pretty well.  Here is a shot of Frostbite taped up and ready to be painted.




The opposite side

Taping her up was a challenge because the painter's tape barely wanted to stick to the frame.  I realize now after the mishap with taping the last time I painted that this is so that it can be removed easily after painting is complete.

This time I opted to make do anyway and hope it stayed attached enough to paint.

The next morning, I sat out in the hot sun and put on a coat of paint.  Man, that rustolium is tough stuff.  It will stick to anything and, not being a latex paint, once it was on something it was on there forever.  I actually had to get paint thinner just to get the stuff off my hands.  Fortunately, my daughter didn't try to help me with this one.

Here are some photos after the paint dried and the tape was removed.  One coat, it turned out, was enough.  Still a bit of touch ups to do but I think it turned out pretty well.











I painted the accessories also.

I did forget to paint the metal piece that holds the spare tire on.  Also forget to paint the wheel of the spare.  I'll get to that when I do the touch ups.

I only used like an inch of paint from the 1 gal can so I'm going to be able to paint things shiny black for years to come.

We did do the overnight in the driveway on Sat.  I'll detail our adventure in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment