Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A new door lock/latch is on its way

I found a lock that *I think* will work.  You know how well that has been working for me so far. 

Here it is:


It has all the mechanics outside the door itself like the current broken lock has so I'm hoping it will be an easy install.  Don't laugh! 

It has a key too so we can lock it.  Now I know this is no real deterrant from someone intent on breaking into the camper.  Pulling the canvas away from the door where is attached only with velcro will allow a crook to just reach in and open the door from the inside.

However, a locked door is a clear and precise message to anyone that I do not want jokers to come inside.  One would have to actually break in like a crook.  It's a psychological thing.  Plus there is a chance that folks might notice someone clearly breaking into the camper while we are away whereas someone simply opening the door wouldn't attrach attention.

Who cares anyway?  Most all campers have locks.  All new popups have locks.  I want one too!

I found one place out of state that had these for $18.  However, the only shipping method they had was UPS which was $14 (Total $32).  I searched around a bit and found one here in TN also for $18 and their shippping (FedEx) was $9.  Unfortunately, since it was in TN I had to pay tax which brought the part up to $20 (Total $30).  Not much difference in price but I should get it faster from the TN company.  Possibly even 1 day as claimed by FedEx.

I ordered it from:

Adventure RV Center
2910 Newport HWY
Sevierville TN 37876
 
Let's just hope the stupid thing fits!

No comments:

Post a Comment