Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Roof Vent Blues

Now that my roof issues are behind me, I decided that it was time to look into replacing the vent on the roof.  Despite how terrible it looks, water is not coming into the camper from this area, we have already established that.  The clear tape that is apparently holding this thing together is doing a fine job.

How lovely

I operates splendedly from inside.  The twist crank that raises and lowers the cover is in good shape and the inside screen is intact and rip-free.  However, I don't think I'm alone in thinking that a brand new vent would sure look better than this one. 

I've looked into new vents a bit and they range from $30 to $300 depending on how fancy one wishes to go.  The high end one have electric fans that run off the internal camper wiring.  Some of the REALLY fancy ones have rain detectors that will close the vent automatically if it starts raining.  Pretty cool.

I'm just looking for the old fashioned (read: cheap) ones, myself.  Fortunately, they are sold in lots and lots of places online.  They seem to be a standard 14 x 14 inches and are easy to install.  This sounds perfect except for one amazingly frustrating thing:

My vent is 11.5 x 11.5 inches.

I did a quick internet search for this size and came up empty.  I'll attempt more in-depth searches soon and I might even call Starcraft and cross my fingers hoping that the factory that makes these vents didn't burn down in the 80's.  That would be nice unless they wanted $100 for a $30 vent just because of the size.

The other option that's difficult for me to even contemplate, is enlarging the vent opening in the roof to hold the apparently *standard* sized vent.  This, of course, would require that I cut on the roof.  This is something that I left off the table soon after getting Frostbite home.

But hey, what's the worst that can happen?

1 comment:

  1. Hi...saw your blog and am wondering if you ever found a replacement roof vent. I am in the same predicament...need to replace a very brittle, yellowing roof vent. It doesn't leak right now, but it is unsightly, and I would like to replace it...just can't seem to find the 11.5 x 11.5 size. Let me know if you have a source...

    ReplyDelete