Monday, April 12, 2010

Waterproofing Frostbite

Armed with my new knowledge about the source of the water leak in Frostbite, I attempted to address the problem with canvas waterproofing spray.

I checked with my go-to girls at The Tool Box and they told me that I would need to check at Camping World or Dick's Sporting Goods in Nashville as they didn't carry anything like that; not ever via a special order from their supplier.  She did add that they *might* have something at Wal-Mart.

I was going to Wal-Mart anyway so I decided to at least check there first.  I found a silicon type waterproofing spray meant for camping equipment and bought 2 cans.  This might not be the right stuff but I figure I couldn't hurt anything by giving it a shot.  My daughter is holding the can in the photo:


A closer view:



I followed the directions on the can and this is the result on Frostbite:



I decided to just do this part initially because it is an area where I know water is leaking through the canvas.  If it works (I supposed I'll just spray a water hose at it and see if the water beads up or soaks in), I'll spray the rest of the canvas.

When I lowered Frostbite, I was careful to notice how the lip of the roof fit over the box.  This time, without any special pushing on either side, the roof set down square on the lower box.  A finger test on the side where the gap previously was verified that the canvas was no longer exposed to the outside.  This is just one of those things I'll have to check whenever I lower the roof.

I am now 99% confident that the leaks are addressed.  Time to lay down the new floor, rebuild the boxes, and install them back inside Frostbite.

Now I just need to remember how it all fits back together.

1 comment: